The Scarlet Pimpernel was the first book that came to my mind. While I love reading books about the French Revolution I am not sure I would want to live through it. It must have been very scary and I have a feeling I would have ended up without a head.
Then I thought about Madame Bovary. I ruled this book out because of the lack of modern conveniences I enjoy. This also ruled out all of Jane Austen's novels, the Little House on the Prairie series as well as Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody Emerson books.
I eventually came to the conclusion that I would like to live in Joanne Harris' Chocolat. I think the small French village depicted in this book would be perfect for me. After all, Lansquenet-sous-Tannes is in France where I feel I am meant to live. I think the size of the town is perfect. I could get everywhere I would need to go without ever getting in a car. The time period is modern enough to provide the daily comforts I need but old-fashioned enough to satisfy my desire for simplicity. I think I would be very happy there.

What book would you choose?



2 comments:
Excellent choice! I love the town in that movie. I think I would like to be in The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. You are right about the modern conveniences, but these people had means pre income tax so I'm guessing it's not so bad.
Good choice. I love Edith Wharton. You are right, with enough money you can be comfortable in any era.
Post a Comment