When I was nine my dad was promoted and we moved to Sydney Australia. I started wearing uniforms everyday. I wore a blue and white checked dress with hideous black shoes that got really hot when the sun beat down on them. On Fridays it was sports day and we wore yellow dresses with bloomers underneath and white sneakers. In the winter time a gray flannel dress and turtleneck replaced the other two uniforms. The nice thing about the uniforms was not having to decide what to wear in the morning, I just reached into the closet and pulled out the dress. Three years later we returned to the States and I didn't put on a uniform again, or so I thought.
Three months ago I was invited to my cousin's house for dinner. While we were eating his oldest son and I had the following conversation:
Jack: Aunt Mary, why do you wear the same thing everyday
Me: I don't
Jack: Yes you do, black and jeans
Me: Don't be silly, I do not wear that everyday
Jack: OK, whatever
I was a little upset and when I got home I went to my closet to have a look. He was right. I didn't literally wear the same thing everyday but all my clothes were remarkably similar. In my desire to simplify my life, I had created my own uniform.
In the fall/winter my outfit looks like this:

look 13 by celiajuno featuring Prada shoes
In the spring/summer it looks a little like this:

Untitled by celiajuno featuring Passport shoes
When it is really hot I do sometimes wear a pair of Khaki shorts, but not on a regular basis. For church or dressier occasions I wear a black or navy skirt and a twin set. But that's it, that's me in a nutshell.
I started to wonder, in my desire for simplicity had I gone to far? Should I go shopping and get some new clothes? Do I look silly? I found a red coat on sale and bought it. I wore it a couple of times but I never really felt comfortable. I tried some lighter colored pants but again, I was never comfortable wearing them. I was always afraid I had a stain on them. I tried some gray and dark red tops. I kept the gray but got rid of the red. I did end up with a couple of pastel tops for the summer and I do have my scarves to add a dash of color. I also added some red shoes and a red handbag but that's as far as I am willing to go right now. I like my uniform. It's my signature style. Maybe I will change it one day. Maybe one day I will finally use the advice from A Guide to Elegance. For now, though, my uniform makes me comfortable and happy and that is what's important.
Do you have a uniform?



4 comments:
I think a uniform of some sort makes sense. Wear what you like for basics even if they are similar and change your accessories to add color. From these ensembles, your scarves really pop against the neutral background of black or brown.
Did you notice when in France that most people wear black or grey? It was a sea of black there and I was loving it because you really notice the accessories which were always impeccable.
I think this makes sense for you because your passions are the accessories. Love that bag too!
I do have a *uniform* and it is strikingly similar to yours. In fact, just last week one of my students asked "Is black your favorite color?" I had to laugh.
I have to confess, a uniform makes my life much easier, simpler. Like you, I use scarves to add variety and interest.
And I, too, love that bag . . .
Thank you for your comments. Sometimes I feel like an oddball here because most everyone I know wears a lot of color.
I have noticed that when I am in France most everyone is wear dark neutrals. Maybe that's another reason I feel so comfortable there. They dress like me too.
I bought that bag almost 4 years ago and it was the best purchase I ever made. Unless it is pouring down rain this is the bag I use.
My 'uniform' is very like yours! Except I probably wear dark jeans with white t shirt or shirt (then I know what I have in the wardrobe will go with absolutely everything else!) White is not so good with a 3 year old, but I like the crispness with jeans (and maybe a navy pinstripe blazer to smarten up!) The French do scarves so well don't they. I love your handbag!
Post a Comment