in today’s Internet-DVD-cellphone world where overachievers rule, dot-coms spring up as fast as houseflies on a hot summer day and die off just as fast, and nobody has time even to sneeze, a fountain pen is a wonderful — and useful — diversion, a practical reminder of a time when things were a lot less hectic.
Richard Binder
I love writing. I am not talking about writing a note or journal entry but the physical act of forming words on paper. I love the way the ink flows onto the paper. I have not switched from a paper agenda to an electronic calendar because I would miss writing down my appointments.
I love to write with a fountain pen. For many years I resisted using a fountain pen. I wasn’t a serious writer or anyone of importance so the thought using any pen other than a disposable ball point pen seemed silly to me. A few months ago I read an article on the pleasures of using a fountain pen. I decided to give it a try. Not wanting to invest a lot of money on a pen I may not like I began with a disposable fountain pen. When I started to write with it, the pen seemed a bit scratchy. I discovered the ink wasn’t flowing well and shook the pen up a bit. The ink began to flow smoothly and I began to understand what the article was trying to express.
After two disposable pens I decided to move on to an actual refillable fountain pen. I conducted a lot of research and read many posts on the Fountain Pen Network Forum. I decided to purchase a Sheaffer Prelude. The pen was heavier than I anticipated but it was easy to use. Not to mention it looked beautiful, much more attractive than the disposable pens I had been using.

I love to write with my fountain pen. It makes me feel like a real writer every time I use it, even if it is only to write a grocery list.
Do you use a fountain pen?



4 comments:
I've never used a fountain pen. They have always been a bit of a mystery to me with the pointy end. Are they easy to use? I like a nice heavy pen.
It is much easier to use than I thought. I was certain it would be really messy but the ink dries pretty quickly and I chose the cartridge refills so it is easy to change out the ink. I have had no problems with the pen leaking either, that was another concern I had.
Isn't it remarkable how something as simple as a fountain pen can remind us of a time "when things were a lot less hectic." The ritual of using a fountain pen almost forces one to slow down in their writing: removing the cap, filling the pen, waiting for the ink to dry, replacing the cap.
I love reading your posts. Each one is thoughtful and personal, and your appreciation of simple, beautiful things rings true in your writing.
I love fountain pens! As a child, it always bugged me how most people I knew kept a big plastic cup of motley pens, half of which didn't work, and the other half leaking. As an exchange student I discovered the fountain pen, and have made it a point of pride to possess only three pens ever since...
well, I am a sucker for a Uni-ball, so I have a few of those stashed away, and a ballpoint for filling out forms... but I keep 'em off the desk!
Post a Comment