Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Gratitude Journal

Real life isn't always going to be perfect or go our way, but the recurring acknowledgment of what is working in our lives can help us not only survive but surmount our difficulties.

Sarah Ban Breathnach


The above quote is from the book Simple Abundance. I bought this book last week after reading several good reviews. It is a lovely book with lots of very interesting topics. The first topic that caught my attention was keeping a daily gratitude journal by writing down five things to be grateful for every day.

There are some days when I would find it difficult to even come up with one thing to be grateful for let alone five. I find that when I am really sad or under a lot of stress I spend the day feeling sorry for myself and wishing for things I don't have. This will inevitably lead to overeating, buying things I don't need and/or not sleeping well. I recognize that this is not good for me and is a roadblock to my desire to live a simple life. I plan to start a gratitude journal today. Maybe by listing things I am grateful for everyday the bad days will be fewer and far between and I will be happier on a daily basis. Here are five things I am grateful for today:

1. My faith
2. My sister
3. My nephew
4. My parents
5. My best friend

What are you grateful for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, I am grateful for the people in my life, not the things that I own. I'd like to add that I am grateful for my health, and for being able to work in a profession that I love.

Great post. Thanks for the reminder to be grateful.

Stephanie said...

Great post. I often forget to count my blessings. And you are right, if you focus on what you have, it makes you want less of other things. I am grateful for my marriage and having a home to live in.