Thursday, April 30, 2009

Life Plan

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us

Joseph Campbell


When I was a teenager I had a life plan. It went like this:

1. Go to college
2. Get married
3. Have children
4. Live happily ever after

I did go to college and then graduate school but the last three never happened. At almost 40, I am still single and childless. I think about this a lot and it always makes me sad.

I read the quote above a few days ago and I have been thinking about it ever since. It occurred to me that my plan has kept me from doing some things I would have loved. I never moved to Prague to teach English as a Second Language because I knew it would be difficult to meet people. Same for going on a mission trip to India, moving to San Francisco and, of course, moving to Paris. I could have done any of these things if I had set my mind to it but I didn't. I was always waiting for Mr. Right. I have never even owned a dog for fear that I would meet someone who didn't like my dog, was allergic, etc.

Well no more, I am going to discard this plan and I am going to find the life that is waiting for me. I am starting with a puppy, a toy poodle named Winston. He is coming to live with me next month and I am very excited. If God decides to bless me with a husband and children great, if not that's OK too. I am ready to live the life that is waiting for me.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love this post. It's full of hope and promise for the future. You are so right, pursue your life, do what you enjoy, and make it full. Your new outlook is very inspiring and motivating to me.

Marsi said...

There is no time like the present to go for it.

I have lived the opposite scenario as you: never thought I'd meet anyone or marry and intended to study abroad in college and never come home. Instead, I met the right guy when I was 24 and have been with him for almost 20 years. I think things have turned out just right, and they are just right for you, too.

It is always to wonder what life would be like if it had zigged where instead it zagged.

Kristine said...

I've only now just discovered your blog and have been enjoying catching up. This is a particularly lovely post in that I and so many women can relate to your choices and reasons for them. You share a wonderfully healthy outlook and I have no doubt serve as a role model for many.

I too have turned 40 this year and there have been times I've felt down about not being where I expected in my life. But mostly I try to focus on the possibilities and what I love in life. I figure that if you follow what you love in life, that has to be the right direction for us.

Best wishes!

celiajuno said...

Thank you for your kind comment Kristine and for reading.