Sunday, July 19, 2009

Simple Pleasures: Cloth Napkins


I love sitting down to a perfectly dressed table. It makes eating so much more pleasurable. As a single woman, however, I very rarely set the table for myself. I just grab what I need from the kitchen on my way to the table or (horror of horrors) the sofa. Today, at lunch, I decided to go ahead and set myself a place at my table. It wasn't very fancy: fork, knife and napkin. I didn't use a paper napkin though, I opened up my linen drawer and pulled out a cloth napkin.

There is something very civilized about using a cloth napkin. I am not sure why we don't use these more often. I guess most people (myself included) seem to think it is easier to just use paper and throw them away. I wash sheets, towels and other linens every week so it really doesn't add any more work if I use the cloth napkin. I don't even have to iron them because no one is here but me.

My lunch today was just pasta with parmesan cheese and cherry tomatoes but using the cloth napkins made it feel like I was dining in a fine restaurant.

Do you ever use cloth napkins?

5 comments:

Marsi said...

Yes -- although for informal meals (which is most of the time), we use bandanas in about 10 different colors. I read that suggestion somewhere several years ago, and it seemed cute and fun. I don't iron them; just fold them as they come out of the dryer.

Good for you for making a fuss over yourself at mealtime. You're worth it, non?

Stephanie said...

You caught me. I use them when I entertain, but not for everyday and I'm not sure why. They are so nice to use. I'll have to try that this week. I'm also going to make an effort to not eat in front of the television this week. It's such a bad habit and I do it far too often. Thank you for your kind words about my kitchen!

Kristi said...

I've gone completely to cloth napkins. It is fun to collect them. My kids have their favorites, so we often end up with a mishmash of napkins at the table, but most are the same colors, so it seems to work. With that said, it drives ALL my relatives crazy when they come to our house and there are NO paper towels or paper napkins. When my parents visit they always go to the grocery store and buy paper towels to have in my house during their visit!

annecychic said...

Cloth, for every meal. But I have a secret for hand-pressing them so they always look and feel like they've been ironed . . . shhh!

I set a place for lunch, even when I'm at school--a plate and silverware. Yes, it does feel civilized and makes the simplest lunch special. And the French wouldn't have it any other way, n'est-ce pas?

chiara said...

This is so funny, I just wrote a blog ost about this! I do, and they are environment-friendly too!