Friday, July 10, 2009

My French Life

I have a lot of books by women who have changed their lives and moved to France. There are a ton available, it seems moving to France is a dream shared by many. Of all of these books my favorite is My French Life by Vicki Archer.

My sister and I were shopping in Anthropologie when she pointed the book out to me. (I am always surprised at the good books Anthropologie carries. I love that store, I wish we had one here.) As soon as I picked it up I knew it had to have it. The book is about Ms Archer's family's decision to leave Australia and relocate to London and France after buying some abandoned land with a farmhouse in Saint-Remy-de-Provence. In the book she describes refurbishing the home (which is absolutely gorgeous) and revitalizing the property. She also writes about her efforts to learn the French language. In addition, there are chapters about French Women, Weekends, Style and Food. Ms Archer is a gifted writer and her descriptions of France and French life, language and customs are beautiful. The book is also full of really beautiful photos of France.

This is a great book that is worthy of display on a coffee table but mine stays by my bed. I look through it almost every night before I go to sleep. While my situation is very different from hers, it still serves as inspiration and a guide for my eventual move to France.

One day I will have my own French life, until then I can live vicariously through Ms. Archer’s life.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I second this review. It is one of the most beautiful and inspirational books on France I have ever seen. I'm so glad she has a blog so I can continue to read her writings.

Simply Me said...

Thank you for the book review/recommendation. I will be sure to look for it next time I am at the book store.

Reading through your blog, I have no doubt that you will make your dream a reality. Good for you for setting that goal and taking the steps to make it happen!

Tine said...

You can buy books online from Anthropologie's website. I do love that store too-- more for its adorable housewares than its clothes. I am definitely going to check out your book recommendation when I go to the bookstore next!