I spent some time this weekend with one of my cousins. He is much younger than me (21) and still in college. He was telling me about things he wanted to do when he graduated from college. His enthusiasm was infectious and now I have spent the whole weekend thinking about moving to France. Last night I created a preparation plan. It is not a complete plan, I am sure there will be more steps later, but it will do for now. I already feel like I am a little closer because number one is already finished.
1. Open savings account to save for the move (DONE)
2. Learn to speak French
3. Learn all I can about the various regions of France
4. Once a week, pick a different French city and learn about it: history, population, major industries, cost of living. This will help me narrow down the areas where I may want to live.
5. Visit the French Consulate next time I am in Atlanta and ask about the paperwork and other items I will need in order to move to France
I bought a special notebook when I was at Target today (any excuse for a new notebook) and I will compile all my moving to France information in the notebook. In addition, I sent several items to a consignment shop yesterday. All the money I get from selling these items will go into my France savings account. I think my trip to Paris this fall will be helpful too as I will be staying in an apartment. I get to have a chance to live like a French woman for a week. Maybe next year I will be able to go back and stay in an apartment in a different region of France.
Any ideas of other things I should be doing to research and prepare are welcome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
This is so exciting! The only thing I would add is to set aside and schedule time for your French lessons even if it's a learn at home program. I find if I don't set a goal, I won't do it. Also, see if you have an Alliance Francaise in your area, they may have information on moving to France or other resources.
I like your plan!
You know, I did set up a french lesson schedule and I meant to add that in the post under number 2. I have some French language CDs from Pimsler that I got as a PBS gift last year. I may also sign up to take French classes at my local university. I have a friend who is in charge of the admissions office and she told me I could return for a second degree. It is just a matter of freeing up time to take the classes. I would need to wait until the winter semester to start.
The AF website indicates that my city does have an AF. I have sent e-mails to the contact person listed on the main site but have not heard back. I am beginning to wonder if it actually exists. It seems strange because my town is kind of small but we do have to universities with French majors so maybe it is here for the students.
Hanging out with Adam can only get you in trouble :) Ahh to be 21 again...
Are you really going to get a degree in French or just take classes?
LOL re: Adam
I don't know if I will complete the degree but Melissa told me I would need to enroll as a returning student seeking a second degree to get the classes I wanted.
You are definitely launched!
Where is your apartment in Paris?
How wonderful! I admire you for setting this goal. Life is to short not to live it to the fullest and accomplish your dreams. Best wishes for your new endeavor!
What about researching employment opportunities in your field? Even if you may not be ready to apply for jobs in France or circulate your resume when you visit in autumn, you may still be able to identify employers of interest or other resources with whom you may take advantage of networking opportunities during your visit. I have a friend who did something similar when he wanted to move to the UK, and he did move to the UK. :)
Post a Comment