Simplicity is the discipline that guides French women in their personal style as well as in arranging their living spaces. They do not aim to have a great number of possessions, but to have the right things that enhance their lives with convenience and pleasure.
Anne Barone
It seems to me that simplicity shouldn't require discipline. The root word, simple, implies that it should be easy. But I can assure you simplicity is anything but easy. In our consumer driven, got to have it now, give me more world we live in it takes discipline and courage to live a simple life. It almost seems somewhat unnatural today to live in a small home with only a few beautiful and useful possessions.
I have recently been introduced to a new blog, La Bella Figura. The blog's author, Kristi, has shared some photos of her closet and kitchen. While her possessions are few, what she does own is very beautiful and useful. I have been very inspired by these posts.
I have come a long way. I only have about 25% of the things I owned when I first moved to Mobile from Atlanta three years ago. I pared down a lot before I left Atlanta and recently I have gone through and pared down some more but I still feel cluttered. There are some things I own that don't work for me and there are also some things I don't own that would be useful to me. Hopefully soon I will get to that point where I have the right amount of right things that make my life beautiful and functional.



3 comments:
You are right, simple isn't easy, or at least getting there isn't easy. It takes thought and action and most of all restraint. I have the hardest time with restraint.
I can relate. I've pared down so very much but there are still areas of my apartment that feel cluttered - only to me. (friends who visit think I own barely anything)
I crave empty space - in drawers, on shelves and in cabinets - around objects.
Indeed, simplicity is a chronic struggle for myself and especially in raising my 10 y/o daughter. As a single mom I'm trying to raise her to appreciate quality over quantity. It's easier said than done, particularly when all her peers live in accordance with trends. I also find that there is a backlash with my peers as well since people often consider my lifestyle choices to be a negative statement against their lifestyle choices, which it isn't at all. I'm just living the life that's right for me.
Post a Comment