Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Cloisters



The picture at the top of my blog was taken in the Cuxa Cloister at the Cloisters Museum in New York. The Cloisters is one of my favorite museums. It is a branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and is home to the Met's collection of European Medieval Art.

The museum is located in Fort Tryon Park at the northern tip of Manhattan. The land on which the museum was built was donated to the Met by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. He also purchased and donated several acres of riverfront property in New Jersey so that the view from the museum would not be compromised. Finally, he donated many pieces of the museum's collection.

The museum is named the Cloisters because it incorporates elements from five medieval French cloisters. It has an amazing collection of medieval manuscripts and illuminated books. In addition, the museum houses The Nine Heroes Tapestries and The Unicorn Tapestries.

The Cloisters is one of the most peaceful places I have ever visited. When you are there, it is hard to believe that you are in New York City. It is a wonderful place to think, write, relax or meditate. Strolling through the gardens and public rooms it is as if you have been transported to a quiet village in France. If you are in New York, I highly recommend a visit.

3 comments:

annecychic said...

Thank you for this post. Reading it forced me to do a bit of homework: I knew I had seen unicorn tapestries at the Cluny museum, so when I read your post about The Unicorn Tapestries, I began thinking that I was misremembering what I had seen in Paris.

But after I read up on it, I realized what I had seen in Cluny were The Lady and The Unicorn tapestries, oui?

Is the Cluny on your list of places to visit in Paris?

celiajuno said...

Yes, I have never been to the Cluny. It is very close to the apartment where I am staying. I am looking forward to seeing the Lady and Unicorn tapestries.

annecychic said...

Honestly, I visited the Cluny by accident. I had no idea the treasures it held.

The room where the tapestries hang is low lit, and has benches where you can sit and observe the individual tapestries. The space feels holy, meditative; I know you will enjoy it.