Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Caron




It seems that the older I get, the less inclined I am to sit around for hours every morning and decorate my face with a lot of makeup. When I was sixteen it took me forever to get ready. Start with foundation, add concealer, then powder, then blush, three different eye shadows, eyeliner,mascara, lip liner, lipstick, gloss. Wow, I am exhausted just thinking about all that.

Fortunately I was blessed with good skin genes when I was born and my complexion is clear. On most days all I really need is a little powder plus some mascara and gloss. But I am a girly girl and I still like a little loveliness in my morning routine so I use Caron powder.

Caron is a French perfume house that first opened in 1904 at 10 rue de la Paix in Paris. The scents were decanted into small containers from large Crystal perfume fountains. The perfume fountains still exist today, you can see pictures of the fountains in the New York boutique in this post from A Beautyful Sentiment.

The powders were first created in the 1930's and the same techniques used to create them then are still used today. The powders are scented with Bulgarian Rose and smell heavenly. They are stored in beautiful gold containers which look really gorgeous on your dressing table. Caron also makes lighter than air swansdown puffs to apply the powders to your skin. Even the loose powder compact comes with a miniature swansdown puff, a little bit of luxury hidden in your purse.

I am looking forward to visiting the boutique in Paris. This time, maybe I will try some perfume. If you would like to know more about the history of Caron, the perfumes or the powders click on the link under the "Sites I Visit" section of my blog.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

The Caron powder puffs are to die for! I wish I would have gotten a powder now too. I had the whole Caron boutique to my self on Rue St. Honore and the sales lady treated me like a queen. She was so friendly and helpful. I ended up getting Infini but decided against anything else as I already had a big decant of French Can Can and that is my favorite. I didn't know the compact came with a mini powder puff too. Gorgeous!

Love the new look of the blog!

celiajuno said...

I am so glad to hear that they were nice to you at the Paris boutique. I have never been inside that one as it intimidates me a little bit. I purchased my powder in New York and they could not have been nicer. I left with all kinds of samples. Infini is one of the perfumes I am considering, that or Muguet de Bonhuer.

Thank you for the comment about the new look. It seemed a little plain to me so I was changing it around last night.

I really appreciate your comments, it is nice to know someone is there.

Stephanie said...

They were extremely nice at that boutique, in fact I went early on a weekday and had the whole store to myself. It was like a dream.

I absolutely adore your blog! You are doing what I've been striving to do for a long time....bringing a bit of the French life and adopting it here in the states. It's not so easy to do, so I love hearing ideas. I love how you've simplified. I've got a stressful job and it takes a lot out of me, so this is why I try to adopt these habits and lifestyle tips into my own life to make it a little bit more sane.

Sorry for the novel!

-Stephanie

Stephanie said...

Ok, I promise I will stop stalking this post...
I just wanted to let you know I have an award for you at my blog. Thanks!