Sunday, March 29, 2009

Simply Nostalgic


A few weeks ago I bought a book called Style Statement. I thought is was just going to be another in a long line of style books that come in and almost immediately leave my collection. I spend a lot of time reading books that ask me a few questions and then assign me a style. Usually the books then give you a list of must have items that someone with your "style" needs for her wardrobe, and life, to be complete. I'd try it out for a while then get bored and go back to the way I was before.

I quickly learned that Style Statement was a completely different idea. Usually style books will ask anywhere between 10-20 questions, normally multiple choice. Not this book, there are tons of questions, most of them requiring more than a one word answer. It is more like a therapy session. You are looking at all different aspects of you. You will answer questions about clothing and things you like to wear but you will also answer questions about your spiritual views, attitude towards nature and feelings about your family. It took me a few days to answer the questions. After interpreting your answers, instead of assigning you one of 6-10 style categories, you get a two word Style Statement. The first word is your 80% word, your foundation, the core of who you are. The second word is your 20%, your creative edge, the part of you that gets results. There are literally hundreds of combinations. This part took me a few weeks. I tried on a few different titles before finally arriving at Simply Nostalgic.

It was the Simply that I couldn't understand. You see, I had never thought of myself as simple. Simple represents clean, uncluttered, pure, tidy and organized. I am not tidy or organized on a regular basis. Then I started thinking, maybe that's why I am always unsatisfied with my life. Maybe I need to take the authors' advice and "live by my own design." Maybe I have to put effort into living life and not just coast along. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that simple is the true me. I am never more satisfied than when my space and life are organized and simple. It is not always easy for me, but it is who I am truly meant to be, the authentic me.

I highly recommend reading this book. It is available at Amazon or you can check your local library for copy. You can also go to the authors' website, carrieanddanielle.com, to get more information.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

This sounds really interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

How insightful that you figured out that simplifying your life was the way to go and that it's an active process.

Anonymous said...

Hey there. Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your vote and opinion. I really appreciate you taking the time. Now, I'm off to look around your blog some more.

Ali @ Betty and Violet said...

Sounds fascinating! I will have a look at the website to find out more as I'm intrigued...thanks for recommending!