I saw a report on CNBC earlier in the week about the Post Office and how it needs a bailout. There was a gentleman guest who said no one uses the post office anymore so we should let it die. It got me to thinking, why don't we write letters anymore? Granted e-mail is faster but it loses some of the intimacy of handwritten correspondence. To me a letter is a little like a warm fuzzy someone has sent to let you know they care. It takes time and effort to pull out the note card or stationary, write the letter and then take a trip to the post office to get a stamp and mail the letter. When someone sends you a letter, you know you are loved.
Last Christmas I received a book titled The Art of the Handwritten Note. The author, Margaret Shepherd, wrote this in the preface:
"A handwritten note is like dining by candlelight instead of flicking on the
lights, like making a gift instead of ordering a product, like taking a walk
instead of driving. Handwritten notes will add a lot to your life. You can still
use the telephone or the Web for the daily chores of staying in touch, but for
the words that matter, it's courteous, classy, caring, and civilized to pick up
a pen."
I think I will write my sister a note.



5 comments:
Great post! I agree entirely about writing letters and saving post offices ~ we have a similar situation in England especially with rural post offices closing...
Don't worry about turning 40 ~ it's not so bad, it really is just a number and you don't feel any different one day after the birthday than you did before it!
Looking forward to reading more on your new blog...
I agree. I love a handwritten letter. I cherish letters I have from both of my grandmothers. I'm a bit of a stationary nut and I love a good pen.
This is totally unrelated to your post but I just had to comment on Mai Tai's Picture Book blog that you have linked. Oh my gosh, she is fantastic. I'm learning so much about how to tie scarves and of course now I want another Hermes scarf. I put her in my side bar too. I just wanted to thank you for the find.
Ali, thank you for your comment. I am feeling better about forty, I know that it is really just a number, a big number, but just a number. I just have to pick myself up and get cracking. I am looking forward to checking out your blog.
Stephanie: I love a good pen too. I just recently bought myself a nice fountain pen and I love writing with it. I am glad you are enjoying MaiTai's blog. She is a member of a Hermes forum I sometimes participate in and is a really lovely person. I too have learned some great scarf tying tips from her. Of course, since she is French is come naturally.
Sorry that last line should say it comes naturally.
Post a Comment