
The Darjeeling Limited is my favorite movie ever. I watch it at least once a week. It combines two of my favorite things: India and trains. I love to ride trains, I think it is very romantic and a reminder of times past when we weren't in such a hurry.
I had two dream trips I wanted to take when I was young, Paris and India. Since I have been to Paris (and I am going again this year) the only one left on my list is India. I have been hesitant to travel to India by myself. I want to tour India by train but I don't want to travel without a group. Today I found the perfect train tour, the Palace on Wheels.

The Palace on Wheels began service in 1982 and was designed to provide travelers with a taste of how Indian Royalty traveled. Each of the train's 14 coaches is named after a former princely state and is very luxuriously decorated. Each coach houses 4 bedrooms, a pantry, lounge area and two attendants to see to the travelers needs. Each bedroom has twin beds, in room music and private bath facilities. In addition there are two dining cars, a lounge, and a bar car.

The tour begins and ends in Delhi and takes travelers to probably the most famous site in India, the Taj Mahal.

I am hoping to be able to take this tour next year. It is not inexpensive but within reach if I watch my spending carefully. There are many other places I would like to see (Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Russia, Japan) but if I never make it to these places I will not be disappointed. If I don't make it to India I will be very sad.
Do you have a dream trip?



1 comment:
I have always wanted to ride on a train one day. I bet you get to take this trip to India very soon. This sounds like a great way to travel around India.
I have two dream trips, Paris and Italy. I loved Paris and still have yet to go to Italy. I think I would like to visit Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast.
P.S. You can get the vintage couture book at amazon.
Post a Comment