Thursday, May 14, 2009

Experiment

I have too much stuff. I have been cleaning out my closets, dressers, pantry, and other storage places and am appalled at the amount of things I have. I don't use most of it, a lot of it I didn't even know I had. I am embarrassed to admit this but I even had three copies of the same book (Eat, Pray, Love) and I haven't read any of them.

I have read on other simplicity blogs about people who have a one in one out rule. Meaning if they bring in something new something has to leave. I am adopting this policy today. I am going to keep only the amount of books that will fit on my bookshelf, if there is no room it has to go. Then, if I want a new book I have to get rid of one. I am limiting myself to 15 pairs of shoes and 10 handbags. If I want a new pair of shoes or a new bag an old one has to go. I don't really have that many clothes and not much jewelry so I am not going to worry about either of those categories. Also, I am not going to limit my scarves (I need one indulgence). I need to use up my skincare, makeup and bath products before I buy anything new, then I will replace only when empty.

I am canceling all my magazine subscriptions except Victoria, Budget Travel, Real Simple and Marie Claire. I can go to the library if I need to look at another magazine. In addition I am putting myself on a cash only budget, this will help me not buy things when when I am out.

I don't know if this will work or not but I have to give it a try. If you have any ideas that might be helpful let me know.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I do this a lot. But I go through phases when I get fed up I will purge things I own that are in excess. Using cash only will definitely curb spending, stop impulse buying, and make you plan ahead when you actually need something. It's hard but does the job if you stick with it.

I have a very small closet and I'm limited by space for my clothes so I do get rid of things I'm not wearing regularly. It helps to have a really organized closet so you can see what you have and don't go out an purchase a duplicate. I highly recommend buying all the same hangers. I use huggable hangers in black and it makes my closet look very tidy and the hangers are so thin I get more room out of my closet.

I have one shoe organizer that hangs and I only keep the shoes that fit in there. So the one in, one out rule has to apply. Handbags are tricky. I recently organized all of mine in one of those hanging organizers that you can put folded sweaters in. It looks like stacked cloth boxes but they hang. It was an eye opener to see how many handbags I own! Must cut down in this area.

I think your plan is great. Donate the extra books to friends of the library or sell them on amazon for extra income. Keep us posted! Sorry this was so wordy :)