Monday, May 25, 2009

The Care and Keeping of Me

I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.

Coco Chanel



I went to pilates this morning. As I was paying for my class I began to wonder how much time and money I spend on maintenance for me. I take pilates twice weekly, manicures every two weeks, pedicures once a month, highlights and haircut every eight weeks, eyebrow wax every three months, teeth cleaning and facials twice per year. Then, of course, I have a skin care routine and other personal care for home.

I realize that appearance shouldn't be so important to me, but it is, I can't deny it. I am a single woman who hopes to one day get married, I still want to look pretty. But as a woman who really wants to simplify I wonder: Is this too much? Should I give something up? Maybe, but I have decided not to for now. It is not stretching my budget so I don't have to worry about that. These luxuries make me feel good, they lift my spirits and, in the case of pilates and dental cleanings, help to keep me healthy.

Am I over the top? Do you have a maintenance program for you?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

This is just taking care of yourself. It doesn't sound like too much at all to me. The one thing I cut back on and started to do myself were manicures and pedicures, but I actually like doing those things myself and I find it relaxes me. Once in a while I'll treat myself and go get a professional manicure. Everything else goes in the hands of professionals!

Marsi said...

I don't think it sounds over the top either. I do my own mani/pedis, color my hair (Fekkai color -- which I love -- but no highlights, which makes it easy), and take care of my skin here at home. But I see the chiropractor once a month, go to the gym 3x a week, and get my hair cut every six weeks. I am pretty low maintenance in terms of work that others do on me, but high maintenance for what I do to myself. :o) It's a bad idea not to take care of yourself, and that is all you're doing: taking good care of yourself.