Saturday, August 8, 2009

Rebuilding

I am finished clearing out my closet and dresser. I have disposed of or given away many items of clothing, accessories, jewelry and shoes. I am down to just a few items that I either really love or are really useful to me. It has come to my attention though that I have almost nothing for fall/winter. Almost all of my cold weather clothing was either too big, too tatty or just didn't work for me anymore. After the clean out I own: a pair of black leather ankle boots, a black coat, one black skirt, one brown blazer, three cashmere scarves and a pair of black gloves. It's a start but I have a lot to replace.

It is always exciting buying new clothes and in the past I would have just gone out and bought a bunch of things all at once. I would then experience a lot of regrets later. This time I am going to be smart about it. I have decided not to rush things but rather wait until I find pieces that are a good value and that will be truly functional and fit my life style. Keeping my uniform in mind, and taking advantage of the tax free weekend here in Alabama, I purchased a few pieces already.

1. I ordered a new pair of jeans from Talbots. I like Talbots, they fit me well and provide quality basics.

2. I also ordered these quilted ballet flats from Talbots. They remind me of Chanel flats but without the Chanel price. I am to hard on shoes to spend a lot of money on them.

3. I really wanted a trench coat. I think they are so chic and would work with my style. Ideally I would love to have a Burberry but that would use up too much of my clothing budget. I found this one at Old Navy. It is very reasonably priced and will do until I can save for a better one.

4. I ordered 2 cashmere twin sets (one black and one gray) and a black turtleneck sweater from Lands End.

I need a few more items: black pants, another pair of jeans, a gray skirt, another pair of flats, a hat, a couple of blouses, and some tees for layering but these items can wait until later. I am going to be very French and take it slow.

Have you ever tossed everything and started over?

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh. You did it! I am impressed. I have never taken it down to items I truly love because I fear I would have hardly anything but accessories. But after wearing one uninspired outfit after another, I may just do this.

I got your scarf yesterday and I LOVE IT! Thank you so much!

Tine said...

I am impressed as well. I always want to take my whole wardrobe and pare it down to what I really need, but I never seem to be able to do it--I too would own hardly anything! I also have a collection of concert T shirts that I don't really wear, but I just love them too much to get rid of them.

I too received my bag yesterday! I love it and I cannot wait to use it this week! Thank you !!!

Marsi said...

As the grateful beneficiary of your recent closet purge, let me first THANK YOU so much for the adorable bag. It is so cute, and precisely the right size for my knitting.

I like your new purchases and think you're going about replenishing your "stock" wisely. I love the ballet flats you selected. I just practically live in ballet flats myself and think they are drop-dead chic.

I see that you wear a lot of black; I do as well. What accent colors do you like to pair with black to punch up your outfits?

Kristi said...

Wow. I sounds like you are off to the perfect start. I love what you have kept and purchased! I also love that you have a simple color scheme!

celiajuno said...

Thank you for your comments ladies. I am glad you like your new bags/scarf.

Marsi, most of my scarves are in the red/pink/burgundy family. Also, my only colorful handbag is red. I have always liked red, I use it as an accent in my white kitchen too.

Kristi said...

Had another comment, or question, rather, when you say you are keeping your "uniform" in mind, what is your uniform? I think I somewhat have a uniform , at least during the winter ...
K

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hello
Very satisfying to start again with your wardrobe. I have done that once before. I love the shoes!
Good luck with your French plans. I used to live in France - Rouen, Cannes & Monte-Carlo. I often went to Villefranche with my parents & my sister on a Sunday morning to have breakfast by the harbour just after having been to church. I have good memories of my time spent there. I took my husband to Monte-Carlo on a surprise wedding anniversary trip, he loved it there. I love being able to go back there from time to time but am happy living in the Somerset country side - a total contrast!
Take care
Isabelle x

celiajuno said...

Isabelle:

You live in my favorite part of the UK. It is really lovely and I probably would not feel the need to move if I lived there. Did you like living in Rouen, it is another place on my possible move list.

Kristi:

I wrote a post called Uniforms in April in which I wrote about my daily uniform. I wear basically the same thing everyday and it bothers most of my family. I know my parents are going to report me to Clinton & Stacy on What Not To Wear one day.

Kristi said...

Oh my gosh, I forgot!
And I LOVE your uniform. If you ask me it is perfect! It reminds me of Hildi on Trading Spaces (I think we mentioned her style on the FC group in the past)
K

Quite Simply Me said...

Incredible job! I love the choices you made to put back into your wardrobe as well as the decisions made to get rid of items. I had never thought to try Talbots jeans and will keep that in mind next time I am near that store. A great post and very inspiring!
xo

Marsi said...

I am going to Old Navy today to see if they have that trench in stock. I have a black trench, but have really wanted a khaki one for quite some time. Did you buy yours online or at the store? Wondering if you already have it and your thoughts.

You and I have the same accent colors with black: red, and variations thereof.

celiajuno said...

QSM: I love Talbot's jeans because they have a tiny bit of lycra which allows them to give a little. The pair I finally had to toss was over 8 years old, not a bad life span for $50 denim.

Marsi: I ordered mine so I don't have it yet. I generally like Old Navy clothing and I think it holds up pretty well considering it's price point. I could probably get two or three seasons out of that coat.