Friday, August 28, 2009

Continuing Education


Well, I turned in my application to go back to school and study French. I am not sure how it will be taking classes with a bunch of teenagers but I think a class structure is what I need. I probably won't complete the degree but if I come out of this with semi-fluency in French it will be worth it.

Wish me luck!!!

16 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm going to do the same thing with Spanish .. are you doing it at a local college? I can't decide whether to start with community ed classes or go straight for college classes. Also, have you studied French before and if so, how did you decide what level course to sign up for? Sorry for the grilling, but after briefly reading The Gift of a Year, I decided mastering Spanish finally (after classes in both high school adn college) would be my goal this next year.
K

celiajuno said...

Kristi:

I am taking classes at a local university. It is the school where I received my undergraduate degree so I am applying to be a returning student seeking a second degree. I have taken some French through a continuing ed class at Emory University in Atlanta. You have to take a placement test before enrolling in French classes but I think I am probably going to be a first level. There is not a convenient community college that offers French which is why I am going back to university. I am excited that you are going to be studying Spanish. I think learning to speak another language is so important. I wish I had been more serious about it when I was younger.

Marsi said...

Wonderful! Congratulations and good luck. You're doing all the right things to get yourself to France. "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten." I have no idea who said that, but I sure do like the idea of it. You are on your way.

TeriGigi/Girl Meets Paris said...

We are so on the same page. When I got back from my first trip to Paris, I wanted to move there! Because of my life in America right now, I don't see that happening, but just incase, I enrolled in French classes. I want to be ready if a miracle happens. I took three courses in adult continuing education, and if we had to take tests, I would've failed. It was just really hard with no one to practice with between classes. I often wonder about taking a real class for a grade. But I'm SO OLD!

That was 3 years ago.

I leave for Paris in 2 weeks, so I downloaded a course on my iPod, and I'm listening to it daily. I get better everyday, at least in my head!

I will practice when I'm over there, and let you know how it goes!!!

Teri

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! What a great idea.

Tine said...

Congratulations! I studied French as a minor in college along with my major in Accounting. I still have yet to do something with my French knowledge, but its always nice to have it!! I'm hoping a trip to Paris will be planned in the next year or so!

annecychic said...

Congratulations--this is so exciting! I check your blog daily waiting to hear about the next step in "the France plan," and here it is! Have you or will you be able to find someone to practice with?

And, you also have your Paris trip coming up in October, oui?

Cherie said...

Good luck with the classes! I took French in high school and, although I find foreign languages difficult, I love French. Last winter I hired a tutor but dropped out for the summer. I'm thinking about getting the Rosetta Stone program to practice with. I'll be checking your blog to see how it's going.

Madelene said...

Good luck! It will be worth it. I read russian my last year of high school (which just ended this june..ahem) and I'm going to take step 2 of it at community collage during ten weeks this fall, just because I want to learn more.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Oh, I am so, so happy for you. (Good luck with your verbs.)

Keep us au courant.

What is more exciting on this earth than new beginnings (someone told me that that's redundant, but it's not, not at all)?

Quite Simply Me said...

Good for you!!! Maybe you can share some of what you learn with little mini lessons from your lessons and a great way to learn is sometimes by teaching. I am not able to take a course just yet but did check out some French Language cds from the library to listen to when time permits. Despite our not knowing each other very long, I just wanted to say how very proud I am of you! ;)

xo

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh you are a very very good ambassadors för the blog-sphere.... I love your blog!

Regards from Agneta in Sweden

Tine said...

I hope you are doing well... I haven't seen you around in awhile!

A Refocused Life said...

An education on any topic is never wasted. Give it your best and see it as getting you one step closer to your dream.

Jacqueline TresBella said...

HOpe you are doing well! I'm a High School French Teacher, and I teach out of those texts. I hope you are doing well!

Jacqueline
www.tresbelleseibella.blogspot.com

Blog_Commenting_Service said...

Thanks for a brilliant effort in posting your article. One one can be more informative like this. Many things I can to know only after reading your wonderful article.

vanity table and chair