My grandmother and I were very close. She was more than my grandmother, she was my friend. Though she was not French, I think she had a lot of French attitudes regarding dress and appearance. Skin care was important to her and she always told me how important it was to take care of mine. She never left the house without perfectly coiffed hair, perfume, powder and lipstick. She never looked sloppy and was always dressed impeccably, even if she was only going to the grocery store. She wore a lot of scarves and brooches with her suits and cardigans. I inherited many of her vintage brooches and wear them often on my cardigan sweaters.
I know my grandmother liked to travel but she never had an opportunity to go to Europe. I wish she and I could have taken a trip to Paris, I think she would have loved it and she would have fit in perfectly.
I have added some pictures to the side of my blog of other women who have influenced my style and I will write about them later.
Who has influenced your style?



4 comments:
I like that you are starting this series, how fun! What a perfect choice of your grandmother. That generation experienced so much and remained always well put together.
I'm actually just now figuring out my own style and I'm starting to take note of those whose style I admire. Right now it's Marion Cotillard.
I love this idea for a new series.
The 1960's movies inspire me. Cool clothes, without too much fuss. I would love to be a fly on the wall at a Dean Martin cocktail party in Palm Springs, and see what all the girls were wearing. Of course I love Audrey and Grace Kelly.
When my grandma used to visit, she was always excited to see what adventures the day might hold. We would come down for our morning coffee, and there she would already be sitting quietly on the couch, completely dressed, always with matching brooch, necklace, earrings, ring and bracelet. If she had it, she wore it...so fun...I miss her!
Teri
I love your grandma!
My biggest style icon is Ines de la Fressange. She looks like the modern Parisienne and embodies a style that doesn't require a tall, boyish physique to pull off. I always love her flats, beautiful handbags, tailored and classic clothing, scarves, simple haircut, and natural-looking touches of makeup.
Wondering if all of your new clothing items have arrived yet, and if so, what you thought of them? I picked up the Old Navy trench for myself last week -- haven't had occasion to wear it just yet (despite cool temps and rain in my neck of the woods), but I really like it.
Stephanie: I really like Marion's style too, especially in A Good Year.
Teri: I like 1960's movies as well, everyone was so well put together but not over the top.
Marsi: Love Ines, she is just wonderful. I was planning to write a post about her in the future. I have a book called Chic in Paris which features 8 stylish Parisian women. Ines is on of them. She talks about her style, French Style, beauty secrets. It is a really good book, you should order one if you don't already have it.
I received most of clothes, not the jeans yet. I like the trench but I am going to look at one that my Talbot's store is getting before I decide if I am going to keep it. I loved my shoes, they are really pretty. Also, I ended up returning the gray sweater set because I think I want light gray and it was charcoal.
Post a Comment