Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Inspiration

I have been keeping an inspiration notebook for several years now. I don't have just one notebook anymore, I have four. That's too many. If I want to move on to a more simple life, I need to declutter my inspiration. As I was flipping through the books I began to wonder why I had saved some of them. There were a lot of couture evening gowns, fancy jewelry ads, suits, etc. Things that never would be me and that I would never wear. There were also a lot of articles about opulent apartments that were jammed full of expensive art, accessories and furniture. Maybe at one time I wanted that kind of life but I know I don't anymore so I tossed them. I did find a few things that were still very relevant to my life now.

First this article from Nov. 2007 US Vogue. I love the uniform she has chosen. Jeans with navy jackets and ballet flats. I know she has on heels in the photo but you can see all the flats in the background. While I choose twin sets instead of jackets and a Kelly instead of a Birkin her style is pretty similar to mine. I am not going to kid myself and think that she doesn't have some dresses and heels for special occasions, but I think this is probably an accurate representation of her daily wardrobe and it is my inspiration in rebuilding mine.



Next is this photo from a Marie Claire article about going European. I like the feel of this photo. I could do without the heavy eye makeup and cigarette but I really love the rest of the photo. I love the simplicity of her outfit. It is elegant but a little edgy and I kind of like it.

I really like the bag. I was lacking a small going out type bag and wanted something like this. I was not willing to drop several thousand on a Chanel, however, so I looked around on Ebay and other resale sites and found this bag. It is a Rebecca Minkoff. It is similar in shape and color and has the chain strap. Unlike the Chanel bag, the chain can be removed from this one and you can use it as a clutch. The retail on this one is a fraction of the Chanel.


I also found some French Style articles and I will scan them later and post them on the French Chic group files section.

What's your inspiration?

16 comments:

Marsi said...

I just love all of these posts about decluttering (inside and out) and simplifying your life. They are so inspirational. The Minkoff bag is terrific, and really captures the spirit of the Chanel 2.55.

Really looking forward to seeing your French Chic scans. If you're interested, I did the same thing about a year ago and posted them to the Files section of the FC group. You might look for them. It's always fun to see the articles and inspirations that you might've missed, and I'm so glad you've been sharing yours.

Marsi said...

P.S. My scans are in under Files > Chiclette-in-Training. Took me a while to figure out where they'd been moved to.

Stephanie said...

Great article with the minimalist wardrobe. When you have something as classic as chanel, how can you go wrong?

Tine said...

I too saw that Marie Claire article and saved it! I was most interested about the whole dry shampoo idea as I have such dry,thin hair.

Speaking of inspiration you are I think the biggest inspiration on creating a simple life all around! I am trying to take a cue from you and pare down my own wardrobe!

Kristi said...

I have the Vogue article in my "style book." I think her wardrobe is similar to mine as well, at least during the winter. I also substitute the cardigans for blazers in my case!
I would love to read the Marie Claire article, though.
I'm looking forward to your scans, as well. Thanks!
You are such an inspiration to me lately. Thank you.

Tine said...

What are the French Chic group files?

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

FIRST TIME VISITING YOUR LOVELY BLOG...
I TOO WOULD L.O.V.E TO LIVE THE SIMPLIER LIFE.
ALTHOUGH I`M TERRIBLE AT DECLUTERING!!!
MUST IMPROVE, THOUGH!!!
THANKS FOR THE MOTIVATION, ON YOUR PART...
DEBBIE MOSS

Kristi said...

Tine
If I could interject here, they are on the French Chic Yahoo Group. Please join. It is a wealth of good information and a great group. Many of us are members.
K

Tine said...

Kristi- I figured it out and I did join today! I find it a bit confusing to navigate but I am a member now!

sunny said...

1. I didn't know you were a fellow French Chic group member :) I'm on there as well!

2. I adore the first photo you have. I too have that same page in my inspiration file..and blogged about it here (scroll down to find the same photo). http://sunnysblog.typepad.com/mornings_light/wardrobe/

celiajuno said...

Ladies, thank you all for your nice compliments.

Marsi: I printed out all of your scans a few weeks ago. I added them to my notebook. Some of them I had saved as well so I didn't scan those. I posted my scans today in the same place as yours. The are labeled Chic Scans 1, 2,3,and 4. Some of them aren't really about French women but rather simplicity but I thought everyone would like to read them.

Marsi said...

M, I just LOVED your scans and printed them to (1) read in bed over the next few nights and (2) add to my own burgeoning collection of articles and photos. They are wonderful! I love seeing what others have gathered and saved. Some of my own articles are nearly 10 years old, yet they still seem so relevant and classic. (To me, anyway!)

Unknown said...

I also printed them out for reading later tonight ...
Do you have the Marie Claire article (European) that you posted the picture from? Or did you just save the fabulous pic?

TeriGigi/Girl Meets Paris said...

I love this post! Somehow I must have missed it.
My wardrobe is so jeans, t-shirt, an occasional jacket, and then I add a chic purse. I'm not a shoe girl, it's purses all the way.

I have an inspiration notebook for my house, but I never thought of one for style and fashion. Oh, why did I cancel my subscription to In Style magazine?
:)
Teri

Madelene said...

That first Vogue article has been inspiring me since I first read it. I too try to keep a sort of capsule wardrobe, very compact, but I prefer to stock mine with quirkier pieces generally.. The great thing is how one can adapt such ideas to one's own style.

Quite Simply Me said...

Another great post!

With the older notebooks, I think this shows where you are at right now and that you have the confidence to know what you like, don't like and what is possible at this point and time in your life. To this I say...

Good for you!!!

I can't say more than what everyone else did but will say again, that you are truly a wonderful inspiration to us all!

xo